Tuesday, February 25, 2014

DJ vs Rockstar

DJ vs Rockstar

Take a look at this picture below. Look closely. Does anything look strange to you?

Everyone is watching the DJ mix. Sure, they may be dancing or jumping up and down, but in essence, they are just watching a guy mix. 


For those of you who have gotten into EDM and the DJ culture it is part of within the last 3-4 years, this may seem totally normal. The stance of the crowd is the same if its a DJ or if its the Rolling Stones.

For those of you out there who, like me, got into electronic music in the 80's, this scene still looks foreign to my eyes. While my mixes are (hopefully) exciting and make people want to dance, I have never quite gotten comfortable with audiences watching me DJ. The act of pushing buttons, using the cross-fader, twisting knobs, etc just does not seem that visually appealing. At least not in the same way seeing a live band perform their music on stage would be.

So what are your thoughts on the whole "DJ vs Rockstar" issue? Let me know in the comments section or via Facebook or Twitter.






No comments:

Post a Comment